While “it’s a numbers game” matters a lot, quality of work also matters tremendously.
Today I was thinking about a proposal we wrote to a client some time ago that resulted in a $100k deal for our business. Our proposal was over-the-top in detail and effort. I think the client notice the extra mile labor we put into our proposal and that made the difference.
The extra mile matters. A lot. Those who consistently put in the little bit of extra mile work will not just win by a little bit, but will often win the lion’s share.
Here are some examples of extra mile wins:
- Proofreading anything written. So few people do it.
- Making that extra trip out to visit a large client or prospective client.
- Using task follow-ups (especially those in linked to a CRM system) to ensure that you follow-up with leads and partners on a regular cadence.
- Writing hand-written notes.
- Saying things that are personal and heartfelt when they are sincere.
- Remembering birthdays and special occasions.
What are other extra mile things that you do?